Thursday, September 6, 2007

Resurrection

Wow. I can't believe it, but I think I've decided to resurrect a project that I abandoned ages ago. You see, a few years ago, I promised my friend Alicia that I would knit her a pair of socks. Originally, we had picked out a Knitpick's yarn called Simple Stripes. (It has been discontinued, or else I'd link to it). Anyway, I started them at least 3 times trying to find the right pattern. I was never truly happy with it. Then, I finally decided on a yarn over cable from Sensational Knitted Socks. I started knitting the first sock and just as I finished the heel turn, my needle broke. Well, it splintered really, but it wasn't going to work anymore. So, I put the project aside so that I could try ordering size 1 aluminum DPNs from Knitpick's. Time passed and I ordered the needles and then I stalled out again. I don't remember what happened, but I was unhappy with it and cast on for about 109 other projects. Until tonight. Tonight, I looked at that sock and thought it is time to finish these suckers.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This picture was taken at least a year ago and it was taken just before I abandoned the project. As of right now, I've just finished the gusset decreases. Oh yeah, and I've decided that since I've made Alicia a kick ass pair of socks, that this pair will now be for me. I've tortured this yarn so much that I don't think I could stand to give it to anyone else. I literally made an entire sock and then ripped it out because I was unhappy. Of course, I've also made design changes that required ripping out a few rows and things of that nature. I just can't pawn them off on someone else in good conscience. Oh well. It appears as though I'm making myself 2 pairs of socks at the same time now.

Oh and about those Crest of the Wave socks? Yeah, I've run into a bit of a problem. I finished the toe and had to rip it out again. It was just a little too short. I'm worried because I don't have a lot of yarn left. I'm cutting it VERY close and it slows my knitting progress down. I hate the idea of ripping out more of the sock and adjusting my gauge and all that, but I may have to. Just pray to the knitting Gods that I will have enough yarn left to finish them. To be honest, I'd rather go out and buy a contrasting yarn for the toes than to redo the sock, I think. Well, maybe not. I don't know. It was a fun pattern and I did make it taller and wider than I needed. Oh I don't know what to do. For now, though, I'm just going to avoid thinking about it by working on the Simple Stripes socks instead. :)

In other news, I turned in my coins at a local Coinstar. I love that you can convert your change into a gift certificate for places like amazon.com. My mom had a jar of quarters she wanted turned in as well, so I took them with me. Altogether, we turned in over $100 worth of change! Amazing, right? So, we got together and ordered some stuff from amazon tonight. I'm getting Charmed Knits, the second season of the Venture Brothers, and I pre-ordered a copy of Norway to Hide by Maddy Hunter. I love Maddy Hunter's Passport to Peril mystery series. Seriously, if you like reading mystery novels and travel, then this is the perfect series. It's a little bit silly and a lot of fun. I'm very excited about the Charmed Knits book because I'm a bit of a Harry Potter fan. The funny thing for me is that I'm probably most excited about the Venture Bros DVD. I love this show. It's one of the greatest shows EVER. It cracks me up to no end. Hooray! I can't wait for the package to get here! :)

No comments: