Monday, June 22, 2009

Cheating with a postal scale

My mom bought me some really weird pink yarn while at a quilt retreat recently. I was having a hard time deciding what to do with it, but I finally decided to just make a simple knit 2, purl 2 scarf. So I cast on and started knitting with it. I made it rather wide, but I liked it. However, I realized quite quickly that I didn't have enough to make a scarf of any real length. What's a knitter to do? Well, I decided I would just get a contrasting yarn to put in between 2 lengths of this random pink yarn. I decided to try something new to me from Patternwork's called Meredith Bay. It just arrived today! I was surprised at how small the balls were, but I think it will work out just fine. But first, how can I be sure that I'm using half of the pink yarn before switching to the black Meredith Bay I bought? Easy! Bust out the postal scale. All I had to do was put the part I've already knit on the scale and weight it against what I had left. Of course, I had to put a needle with the unknit portion to ensure accuracy. I wasn't too far off! I will have to unknit a few rows, but I love this cheating method. It's so easy. :) Thank goodness for postal scales! :)

No comments: